Thinking of moving? Consider a Custom Kitchen Remodel first
ESTIMATED READING TIME: 4 MINUTES
When your home isn’t working for you anymore, it is natural to start considering moving as the best solution. Often, the space that stops working for you is your kitchen. It makes sense — because this room tends to be a bigger investment of both time and money to renovate it, many homeowners neglect this space for years. And when you realize you have had the same kitchen for 10, 15 or 20 years, it might feel impossible to upgrade it to the space you want.
But you don’t have to leave your current home — you can remodel to make your space into your dream home. A custom kitchen doesn’t have to be stressful or difficult; in fact, when you work with a professional kitchen designer, your beautiful new kitchen can be easy. And while there are advantages and disadvantages to both options, there are four major reasons to choose to renovate.
Moving is expensive
The cost of moving goes far beyond hiring movers and purchasing boxes — moving is an expensive endeavor. Consider the following:
- If you are unable to sell your home before or immediately after you buy a new one, you may be living with two mortgage payments. Or, if you sell your home before you buy one, you may have to invest in paying for a temporary living solution.
- When you move into your new home, you may need to purchase new furniture, accessories or paint. Even if you think you have everything you need, when you get into a new space, it isn’t uncommon (and is completely understandable) to want to purchase new items.
- Unless you find your dream home (which is unlikely), you may end up renovating your new property anyway.
- Consider the cost of your time. If you do not choose to hire movers to pack, move and unpack your belongings, you will be spending a lot of your very valuable time on your move.
Real Estate can be unreliable
Niagara real estate has been seeing a dramatic increase in popularity — our lifestyle and home prices are extremely appealing to home buyers looking to move away from Toronto. And even though we’d like to expect the rising average price trend to continue, you can never be sure. Real estate is an unreliable game, and the last thing you want is to be surprised by home prices being too high or buyers to be few and far between. And when you start to think about realtor fees and open houses, selling your home may be more of a burden than a reward.
With that in mind, your custom kitchen renovation is an investment that will give you immediate return, and will make selling your home even easier down the road. Your custom kitchen designer will make the process easy and you will be left with a space that is exactly what you need and want.
Moving costs more than money
As I mentioned above, moving can be expensive, but the non-monetary expenses can be even more evident than the financial expense. Moving can involve stressful upheavals, even if you aren’t moving far, you may be leaving neighbours who have become like family. And depending on how long you have been in your house, it may be the only home your family has known and leaving those memories can be hard. For many, the pressures of moving can negate the benefits.
Kitchen renovations have a reputation for being stressful as well; after all, you are going to be dealing with demolition and rebuilding, decisions and investments, designers and renovators. But when you are working with a professional, you decision-making process will be a guided journey to the kitchen of your dreams and you will have someone in your corner, ensuring your materials are ordered and supplied and the renovators and trades people know exactly what needs to be done. And the best part is you don’t have to leave the home that you know and love, you just get to make it even more beautiful and functional.
The benefits of a custom kitchen renovation
Even though there can be a significant cost associated with a custom kitchen remodel, the benefits and return on investment can far outweigh the price for most homeowners:
- Your custom kitchen renovation will improve your quality of life, making your space more comfortable, functional and beautiful.
- You can customize your kitchen to meet your own specific and unique needs and wants.
- A custom kitchen will improve the appeal of your home, which means that if you still decide to sell further down the road, your home’s value will increase with a beautifully updated kitchen.
- Even though you will have a few weeks of construction, ultimately, a custom kitchen renovation is far less disruptive than moving.